Have you ever been so busy, that you forget to pray? Or maybe that you forget to even just take a few minutes for you? Well it’s time to change that. We have to make time for God to get through this chaotic life. I know over the years I have really tried to keep up with my prayer journal or my morning readings but then life happens; my son is late for school, I woke up late for work, and if you’re like me when my day starts off late, I feel like I am trying to catch up all day long.
Here are a few things to consider when scheduling time with God:
- Schedule the time in. Yes, make it that intentional. Write it down in your calendar with the time too. If you schedule the time, you’ll be more likely and willing to spend that time with him. Set the alarm on your phone as well. That always helps too.
- Keep your time with God. Have you ever been stood up? Like your date never showed or tried to call and let you know what happen? Well that feeling, I imagine is how God would feel if you didn’t keep your “date” with him. He knows that things happen, but however just forgetting about the “date time” then we are standing him up. Yes, that’s a bit dramatic, however I like to think that if we are able to keep time for anything else, why not keep the time with God. It really is that important.
- God is your BFF. I had a talk with one of my friends, and I explained to her that you speak to God like he is your bff. He wants to hear about you day, what you did, how you did it, your good and bad choices. God cares deeply about what you do and how you do it. Since we are made in his image, why wouldn’t God want to know all about how your day was.
- Your prayers don’t have to be long. I have gotten in the habit of saying small prayers through out my day. I find it a lot easier to get through a bad day this way. So if the day is good, I really have no problem talking to God about my excitement. A prayer is a prayer whether it’s long or short. Either way, God is very willing to hear everything you have to say.
- You will never be an inconvenience to God. Some people think the sometimes they are asking for too much, or when they pray it’s always an issue. That is farthest from the truth. God enjoys hearing everything about you and what you have going on in your life. He cares about your choices and he cares about you.
Spending time with God daily is the most important decision you can make. He will always listen and he always has time for you. I encourage everyone to try it and see how it changes your attitude towards life’s challenges. Don’t tell God how big your challenge is, tell your challenges how big your God is.