I have been asked a lot of questions on what helps me keep God first. My reply is I pray and I put God before everything. YES EVERYTHING!
Now a couple years ago I could not say that. I chose to follow my selfish ways and did what I thought was best for me and not what God wanted for me.
Yes I make mistakes, yes I have set back, and yes there are days that I have difficulty being nice and patient with others.
But what really helped was meditation and keeping God at the front of every single thing I did. I took myself out of the picture and allowed God to have his way instead of me. I always tell people 2 things 1) God is not going to ask you about me. Which means is that I am held accountable for what I do in life, not what others do. 2) You have to get out of your own way in order for God to have his way. Meaning you have to do things God is asking you to do rather that doing what you think you need to be doing.
I had the absolute hardest time trusting God with my life. I continued to go down my own road and make decisions based on my feelings or greed or just plain felt I deserved it. And that got me absolutely NO WHERE! So how could I possibly go wrong with allowing God to lead me, I mean I was making poor decisions and I didn’t like how I was doing it.
Ok so the reason for the post, I’ve always enjoyed reading so this is a list of books that I have read that helped me get back on track to God and trusting him with my life.
- The Bible – now I know what you’re thinking, well yeah the Bible, but this bible is very special to me. It’s a parallel bible with the New International Version on the left side and The Message form on the right side. The message form is completely regular English for a better understanding. I have a hard time understanding the verbiage used, however this helps me without having to look else where.
- The Purpose Driven Life – this is a 40 day bible study that gives you an idea of what God really wants you to do in life and how to accomplish them. I like this book because it adapts to the person reading the book. It’s a very good read and I highly recommend this book if you’re having difficulty figuring out what God wants you to do.
- Living Beyond Your Feelings – this book really opened my eyes on what not to do with your feelings. I used to make long term decisions based on short term feelings and it has always been a disaster. This book explains why it’s so important to know and rely on God and not man; to make decisions rationally and not emotionally.
- Change Your Words Change Your Life – this books is geared towards how you speak things into existence. We have to be careful what we say, the more negative we speak, the more we see our burdens not our blessings, and that allows the devil a foothold on us.
- Power Words – this book shows focus on our words. What we say can change your life. I sometimes have the hardest time believing that I deserve the best and what God has for me is for me, however after reading how words can effect your every day blessings, I knew I had to change the words I said or how negatively I spoke.
- Wisdom for Women – this is a 365 day devotional that I completed last year but I still keep this book next to my bed for reflection. It helps remind me that I can do anything through Christ. I have highlighted several passages to refer back to when I’m having not so great days.
- Battlefield of the Mind – we are what we think, so if you think you can’t, you’re right. This book really goes into detail how important it is to focus and direct our thoughts on what God wants and how God gives us everything we need. I felt like I was having a hard time thinking so negatively all the time. I know it seems like we don’t but have you ever talked yourself out of something you really wanted. I have done this so many times, I began to believe I didn’t deserve it. This book helped me to get my thoughts on track with what God wants and to focus on what I have instead of what I have not.
- Listen Love Repeat – this book shows you what real love is. “Love thy neighbor.” It gives examples on how to love one another as God loves you. I did a bible study with Proverbs 31 ministry and it helped me to realize the importance of listening and loving one another.
- The Best Yes – the is a self help book based on making decisions based on God and what is best for you. I enjoy reading books that encourage me to put God first and it helps with my decision making life. This book helped me to understand that a “no” is an answered prayer too.
Please leave any book recommendations in the comments. I am always looking forward to reading material that helps me get closer to God and becoming a better person.